Monday 15 November 2010

Look me in the eye

(I found this a while ago) I was particularly interested in the commuter behaviour on the tube network, in particular the zombie like glazed look on peoples faces. Despite the hundreds of people moving through the small spaces on platforms and tube trains there is barely any conversation or much communication whatsoever. After speaking about my project to various people, they all came out with good/funny/bad/unpleasant stories to tell of their experiences - but what interested me was their particular surprise at the kindness shown by strangers on some occasions. One friend said she saw a guys arm get caught in a train door; and as the train began to move five men stepped up immediately together to release him. Others talked about the shared moment of a group of people after an experience - such as laughing or looks of disbelief. I think this is a wonderful thing, when suddenly you feel included in a group of strangers who otherwise would not try to make any contact whatsoever - even eye contact.

I did an experiment when I when out on the photography capturing task, where if anyone 'accidentally'
made eye contact I would hold it until they looked away. I also observed that to avoid this people look at anything they can: such as looking at shoes, around the carriage (avoiding eye contact), the adverts above the opposite line of seats was a particularly prominent task, often repeated or eyes fixed on the direction but perhaps thinking of other things.


I saw one advert in that space that contained an image - as on facebook if you don't have a profile picture/ clear identity - with a speech bubble which read:

"I am avoiding eye contact by reading this advert"

This is interesting as it suggests (as people behave) that they have their anonymity as long as they don't interact

Eye contact is a key social interaction, which is intensified while you are in a confined space, where you can't really help looking at people. Whereas in street environment, you usually wouldn't look at people you don't know for any length of time, unless you had a purpose on an intent. People don't like being stared at, plain and simple. It makes most people feel uncomfortable, and often suggests there is a reason for this interest.

I found (while thinking consciously about it) that it is quite difficult to avoid looking at the person sat opposite you on the tube, and at the same time they noticed the most if I was looking at them 'accidentally' before I flick my eyes back to the adverts.

No comments:

Post a Comment